Use 12 medium muffin cups (grease if not using paper cups).
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (preferably whole-grain gluten-free flour)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum (unless you are using a pre-packaged mix and it is included)
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 3 and 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (regular or sea salt)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (increase to 1/2 cup for a sweeter dessert muffin)
Beat together (If you are feeling strong it can be done by hand.):
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/4 cup milk (or rice milk)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or a preferred lighter tasting oil)
Fold in 1 cup of mashed banana. (The bananas will work best if they are very ripe.)
Options For Banana Muffins
- Adding 1/2 cup of raisins is an option that makes this recipe even more nutritious.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans for added taste. (Beware of allergies.)
You may need to adjust the temperature and time for your own oven
Bon appetite! Gwenn David, Innkeeper at the Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast